Sunday, December 28, 2008

Arthur Bryants



Oh hey bros. I just got back from burying my Grandpa in Kansas City, Missouri. No tears here, Ol' Bob Slegman was a good man, and he lived a long life over 94 years. He was a horseman, fox hunter, clothier, and one of the best storytellers I've ever met. Of course one of the coolest things about Grandpa Bob is that he loved good BBQ and soul food. Thus every time I've traveled to KC we would visit a number of their finest BBQ and soul food joints. I've been to so many of them since I was about 8 years old that the list would be too long to post here. That's a lot of ribs, buddies.

I consider a KC trip to be a pilgrimage of pork. A sojourn of sauce. A gathering of burnt ends amongst friends.

Anyway, Arthur Bryants is a fucking temple of deliciousness. I don't want to hear anything about Texas beef ribs, or Memphis sauce, or god forbid some heresy about Minnesota even coming close to bumping uglies with KC BBQ. Deal?



Arthur Bryants is known worldwide, but the original location is still nestled in the 'hood. Of course the neighborhood looks a lot nicer than the one I live in, but just to acknowledge the street cred I captured a couple of 40oz buddies perched in front of the restaurant, likely waiting for their gorging BBQ fan drinkers.



That's my plate stacked full of burnt ends, pulled pork, and amazing pork short ribs. I also grabbed KC's finest Boulevard Pale Ale in a frosty mug. I prefer the original Bryants sauce which isn't sweet at all, and packed with gritty spices. They also carry two newer varieties of sauce that are sweet and thus easier for white people to enjoy. Pussies.



A 2lb stack of delicious pork ribs. That's a lot of piggy for this piggy. One of the best things about Arthur Bryants is ordering by the pound. The longer you wait in line, the longer this seems like a great idea. I think we ordered something like 12lbs of meat plus the beans, slaw and beers we threw down.



Every table at Bryants comes stocked with a loaf of Wonder Bread. I remember going there once when I was about 8 years old. My Dad asked the man behind the counter why they use such shitty bread when they served such great ribs and sauce. The gheri-curled man replied "Dat ain't bread, dems napkins". Fucking brilliant.



Another view of the original Arthur Bryants. They added a fancy new parking lot, but you're still going to wait 45 minutes in line over lunch time.

Ribs are my favorite food on the planet. I like ribs more than hot dogs, tacos and bacon, and I really love hot dogs, tacos and bacon. I guess the moral of the story is that I like a lot of different kinds of food, especially when you're stuffing your face with a buddy at your side.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

may your grandfather rest in peace. sounds like he was the type of man who would want you to bring some ribs back to rva so your friends could really understand what he was about.travel safe. ch

Geoff Peveto said...

Condolences Casey. Sounds like he had a great ride and imparted some valuable knowledge to you.

I have some Boulevard in the fridge right now. I'll tip one to you and yer Granpap today.

Not Dickless said...

"Dat ain't bread, dems napkins" Quote of the year. I have reblogged this.

Dudeman said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather bro.

I love Arthur's. Place is a mecca for all those lovin ribs and all things swine.

Parking lot huh? Next thing you know, the place will have a host and a wine sommelier!

R. Falch said...

the man would have been proud of your face stuffing.

i am sure KC bbq is really delicious, but i have had no pig, like the north carolina-style pig.

yes, you'll have to go to north carolina, but i promise it will be well worth it.

Not Dickless said...

I was just in Asheville, NC and had the pig you speak of. It was porktastic. The joint I went to had a sauce bar where you went and filled little paper cups with the ones you wanted - like 15 to choose from. Delicious.

R. Falch said...

I've seen men use a brand new mop to mop the mustard/vinegar sauce continually for hours onto a rotisseried hog in North Cakalaka.

They also called me Yankee and made fun of my Whole Foods grocery bag. Ah, the progressive South...

Casey Brewer said...

Ribs in South Carolina, ain't like ribs in KC. It's different.

R. Falch said...

Ain't no one said nuttin bout no South Carolina.