Monday, December 8, 2008

"You've Come to the Finest Restaurant in Toledo."



Even if you're able to, I imagine there's not a lot to see on the Ohio Turnpike. That's why I decided to get off it and head into Toledo; past the McDonald's, Fazoli's, Hardee's, Starbuck's, Taco Bell, Perkins, Bob Evan's, Steak 'n' Shake, Burger King, Dairy Queen, and Subway to Rudy's Hot Dog, self-proclaimed King of the Hot Dog's and a family tradition since 1920.



Also known for their chili mac (an Ohio thing that will get it's own article someday but it's basically spaghetti noodles topped with chili and cheese and onions, I think) and burgers, Rudy's offers hot dogs with only three toppings; mustard, chili, and raw onions. I got "the works" with fries and a Coke. The weiners are eerily similar to those found at both George's Hot Dog Shoppe and the Milwaukee Weiner House in Sioux City, Iowa (all of which are owned by Greeks, btw, weird, I'll have to get to the bottom of that soon with some hot dog sleuthing). And just like those found elsewhere, they are some tasty treats for the road weary. A steamed and heavenly soft bun. Chili sauce that is nearly sweet. Finely chopped white onions. A most likely not all beef wiener that definitely does the trick. Put all that together for a completely amazing couple of dogs.

As I finished up my dogs and sipped on my Coke my buddy Lee rang. I told him I was in Toledo eating some dogs, you know, no big deal, and told him I'd have to call him back. When I hung up two older couples said they had overheard me and that I was driving from New York to Minneapolis and all that. The elderly and well-dressed gentleman said I'd come to "the finest restaurant in Toledo." Sir, I cannot argue with you.



1 comment:

Geoff Peveto said...

Holy shit that looks cold. It was 75 in Austin today I couldn't take that kinda chill. But I could eat a couple dogs like that no matter what the weather was like. Nice set of posts Mr. Lancaster.