Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pronunciation: \shə-ˈkä-(ˌ)gō, -ˈkȯ-, -gə\

Next stop on the road, buddies, is the Windy City. It's the July trip to the Flatstock and the Pitchfork. This year was fucking awesome because it was about 105 in Austin and 70 in Chicago. And by tradition I planned the trip to land me in Chicago with two extra days to go say hello to Hot Doug's

Let's get started.

Dateline: Friday 10:30 AM. Trip one to Doug's. As usual the amazing offerings made it tough to decide but I crossed my fingers that the ones I'd miss Friday would still be around Monday. So I rolled with the Game of the Week:
Spicy Smoked Alligator Sausage with Cajun Remoulade and St. Pete's Blue Cheese



And the one dog I had always been wanting but was never on the menu when I was in town. The very same sausage that Anthony Bourdain raved about. Duders I present Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage with Truffle Aioli, Foie Gras Mousse and Sel Gris



That is possibly the richest thing I've ever eaten other than the Hamburger Rossini from Bourdain's Les Halles (ground to order, char grilled, slice of house made foie gras terrine melting on top, dip of black truffle and red wine sauce)

I loves me the tasty animals.

Dateline: Friday PM, maybe Saturday AM

After Jesus Lizard, Tortoise, Built To Spill and Yo La Tengo buddies Jay Ryan and Bobby Dixon whip it into Dengeos for a couple of late night dogs and rings. Pretty ok dog considering the time of night.



Dateline: Next two days of Pitchfork. Lots of bands including Jay's band Dianogah, who were awesome. So here's a variety of festival sausages.

Ćevapčići. Their sign was Pork+Beef+Lamb+Garlic+Salt and Pepper. Shit was right on. Not sure how many I ate but the roasted red pepper and eggplant sauce made it.



Buddy Northcutt's Brat. Perfectly fine for festival food.



Cajun something or other. Also passable considering I took 60 PBR's in on Friday and left 10 for Saturday. Granted I had new buddy Nathan helping but not bad for two guys.



The last band. Also my all time favorite. The Flaming Lips



Dateline: Monday 10:30 AM. Thee music is over. Park food has been replaced by the previous night's pancakes, li'l smokies and bacon I cooked up at Jay's. Now back at Doug's to make sure I get my fix of the good stuff. Today I chow on the Jamaican Jerk Pork Sausage with Spicy Mango-Passion Fruit Mayonnaise and Roasted Plantains plus the Burgundy and Citrus Pork Sausage with Sun-Dried Tomato Mustard and Montsegur Peppercorn Cheese.




Badass.

As our time in Chi-Town comes to a close we haul ass to Kuma's for a pre flight burger. Kuma's is the Hot Doug's of burger joints plus METAL. Awesome tunes, hot gals with the tattoos bringing beers and burgers named after metal bands. And I'm not talking that pussy hair metal like Poison or Ratt I'm talking about Mastodon, High On Fire and Sabbath. I decided to have the most metal of the burgers on the menu. The Slayer. Pile of fries topped with a ½ lb. Burger, Chili, Cherry Peppers, Andouille, Onions, Jack Cheese, and Anger. How do you pass up Andouille and Anger?

It was the size of three of my stomachs but I gave it my best. Excellent burger even if the patty, sausage and a few chili cheese fries were all I could get down.



So with that I leave this epic post and plan my next trip back to be pretty much exactly the same.

2 comments:

Casey Brewer said...

I think we should proposition both Hot Doug's and the Weinery for Lifetime Player's Club VIP status.

We'll trade ads, design, raving blog reviews and witty jingles for a lifetime free dogs.

Is there a conflict of interest with Frank if we offer our services?

Jake Lancaster said...

That shit is epic. Those look like the best hot dogs ever. I'll be in Colorado tomorrow and I want to find that place that was in your hot dog video. Where is that at Geoff?