Saturday, January 16, 2010

Bavarian Meats.

It's tough to really immerse yourself in hot dog research when you don't have a good buddy at your side to contemplate the meats. I'm used to doing things with a sidekick. A compadre if you will. And that's exactly why things have been a little slow up here in the Pacific Northwest.

So one miserably shitty Sunday afternoon I decided to set off on my bike and see if I could stumble across anything blog worthy. After about an hour of roaming the streets like a wild dog, I happened across this little deli in the oddest of locations. The Pike Place Market.

Introducing Bavarian Meats.



I had already had one bad experience with the hot dogs at the market (see blog post where hobo violently shits himself), but I figured it wouldn't hurt to take a gander at the selection of encased meats.



Wow. Behind this glass counter rested an assortment of sausages and franks that rivaled anything I had ever seen before. A virtual Xanadu of pork and beef parts stuffed tightly into submucosa, or for the laymen, intestines. I wanted to eat everything in sight, and the little fat German woman behind the counter obliged by letting me sample a little nibble of all her wares. She was a real sweetheart, and in retrospect I wish I would have snapped a pic of her procuring the fine samplin' sausage.

I settled on the wieners, some saurkraut and some nose burning spicy German mustard that grew hair on my balls in a matter of seconds. I paired that treat with a side of my homemade bowel destroying chili. Bon apetite buddies!





Probably the best deli dogs I had ever had. They had that perfect snap to them and the kraut and mustard were an ideal complement. Delicious.

3 comments:

Kris Layher said...

God that looks good! I'd be more than happy to go hunt down meat with you sometime.

Jamie Ward said...

Bein' up in the Pacific NW, I totally feel ya. No compadre on a dog adventure makes it that much more heinous & rainy.But, there's only a few things that can bring out the sun, and you, my friend, found it: sometimes you have to dig deep within.

Geoff Peveto said...

Well played Brewer. I dig the oddness of Pike's Place and hope to be back up thataway this year sometime.