Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Red Hot. Tacoma, Washington.

Tacoma. It's a dank little hovel, home to shipping yards, serial killers and Craigslist hookers. It's also the place to get the best damn dogs I've had in the Pac NW. My buddy and guest correspondent Robert "The Schneids" Schneider agrees. The Red Hot in Tacoma is for real, and worthy of a repeat visit.



The Red Hot has been on my to do list for a while, and it has recently received national pub from a show that I've never heard of called Chefs Vs. City on the Food Network. I don't watch that shit. I do however like to eat a good hot dog.



The menu at The Red Hot is fairly simple. There are 9 signature dogs, 3 sausage options, a couple of veggie selects, and one sandwich called the Pac Ave Italian Beef. There's also a few sides.



The Red Hot does not mess around when it comes to the quality of their beers. They boast one of the most extensive lists of IPA's I've ever seen. Just take a peep at their current tap selections:

Beer Valley Rosebud IPA
Hales Aftermath IIPA
Lazy Boy IPA
Stone Double Bastard
Ommegang Adoration
Silver City Clear Creek Pale
Boulevard Brewing Bully Porter
Leavenworth Friesan Pilsner
Two Beers Jive Espresso Stout
New Belgium Trippel
Old Tacoma Lager
CASK: Double Mountain Hop Lava IPA
NITRO: Oskar Blues Gordons Beer



Enough with the tour guide shit. Let's get to the eats. Here we have my first selections:

On the left is the Hilltop Strangler. An all beef dog with a slice of bacon, thousand island, onions, mustard, nacho cheese, & tomatoes.

On the right is the Destiny City Slaw Dog. An All beef dog with southern style coleslaw, house special all-meat chili. Onions and mustard to top off this beauty.





The Schneids came to The Red Hot bragging that I might need to wheel him out of the place on a stretcher. He wasn't far off the mark. Here's his first two picks:

On top is The Coney. An all beef dog with yellow mustard, chopped onions, and Red Hot's all meat chili. A simple, traditional masterpiece.

The second dog is the behemoth known as The Tide Flats. Two all beef dogs on an open faced bun, piled high with yellow mustard, onions, relish, tomatoes, sport peppers, jalapeno peppers, sauerkraut, all meat chili, coleslaw, nacho cheese, pickle spear, and celery salt. This monster comes with a fork and a knife. I saw beads of sweat forming on The Schneids' brow while he was pummeling this fucker.



For my next trick, I went for the 6th Ave Strut. An all beef dog with cream cheese, onions and tomatoes. They were calling this a traditional "Seattle Dog" but I prefer the street vendor version with grilled onions. Still a tasty dog for sure.



Nobody puts the hurt on a Coney dog quite like Schneids.



That's me with the Hilltop Strangler. It's an aptly named beast considering the effect it had on my arteries.

The Red Hot only serves all-beef natural casing hot dogs, served on poppyseed buns. The have that snap to them that I really love, and the girth of each dog is easy to manage. 3 of these bad boys is one too many, and I likely peeled at least a week off of my lifespan. That said, The Red Hot dogs are delicious and definitely worth the drive.

5 comments:

Bukes said...

As much as I want to make a joke about the picture of you with a wiener in your mouth, I have to admit those dogs look good.

Geoff said...

That dang ol TIde Flats is a beautiful piece of work. Did Jakey leave his typin machine in Mexico? Where's that fruit with some stories?

Casey Brewer said...

I think Jake is retired or some shit. He's always talking about dropping pant sizes and spinach now.

Ed Bisquera said...

Okay, you've definitely piqued a renewed interest in all the best "meat in a tube" options. Dang, are there that many places to grab a dog around Tacoma?

Would love to feature a few of your posts on our new Facebook page and related blog. Right now the most we can provide in terms of payment is free dogs and beer...could that persuade you enough to allow reprints or even a guest post?

Thanks for dog love... Long live Meat in a Tube!!

Ed

Casey Brewer said...

Ed, I didn't see your comment until now. We can be persuaded.