Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Guess My Celebrity Dad

Buddy Northcutt and I rolled out to Los Angeles this weekend to see some family and friends and do a little Frank business. We accomplished everything famously and thanks to said family and friends we had a great time between all the hot dog talk. Maybe the most enjoyable part of the trip was the downtown bar tour orchestrated by buddies Kent, Fieron and Nathan. We started off by hitting Cole's for some sustenance before the real business started. Classic French Dip. Super tasty.



Cole's is also home to The Varnish where I had this refreshing concoction called "The Fairbanks" It was Bulleit Rye and apricot, a giant ice cube and other fancy hoo ha I don't remember.



Around the halfway point of the evening we ended up at the lovely Jessica's bar, The Falls Lounge. After a couple PBR's and shots Fieron pointed at Nathan and said to me "We're gonna play guess my celebrity dad."

Me: "Ron Moranis!"

Fieron: "You mean Rick Moranis. No. Try again"

Me: (Second guess fell victim to a possible black out )

Fieron: "No. Try again"

Me: "Luke Skywalker!"

Fieron: "Bingo!"

(I paraphrased some of that shit because I really don't remember exactly how that all went down.)

Flash forward a couple hours, Jessica is still pouring the whisky and PBR's and the buddies tell me that Nathan really is Luke Skywalker's son. And to clarify were talking about Mark Hamill and not 2 Live Crew here *Edit* Buddy Kendra advised I did not choose the best 2 Live Crew song so it has been updated. Nathan's a pretty rad and funny fella. If you meet him ask him about a bulldog in a bed and a girl in a closet. Definitely a new buddy. Suck on that Star Wars nerds, a 10 hour bender with Luke Skywalker's kid.

But that was just Saturday. Sunday was we got into the dogs. First off we hit Berlin Currywurst. Met the owners who moved to LA from Berlin to open up shop. I maybe even impressed them with my Currywurst knowledge and that I had eaten my weight in it on multiple trips to their homeland. Their set up was simple. You picked the sausage, the heat level and the sauce. Completely authentic and just like the wurst karts in Hamburg. We pulled three varieties, Bockwurst with traditional curry sauce, Bratwurst with ginger orange Charlottenberg and Paprikawurst with Mitte which was a lemon garlic spiced sauce. Super good folks doing a cool thing. Make sure you go check it out.



Next on the agenda was checking out buddy Tyler's Handsome Coffee lab which happened to be across the street from Wurst Kuche. Due to being stuffed from Berlin Currywurst we had a couple coldies there and caught up with TJ before scooting off to watch the Lakers choke in the last 2 min of the game. Ol' WK has been chronicled here a couple times so I won't waste your peepers on it again.

We capped the night at Dog Haus in Old Pasadena. This place was a real treat and we weren't even hammered. Really good, fat beef dogs dressed up in a bunch of creative ways like we like. Lots of options but NCT and I went for the gusto pulling in The Little Leaguer and The Grand Slam respectively.

Grand Slam, smoked bacon, tater tots and a fried egg:



Danny smoochin his chili cheese frito pie dog.




Whirlwind dog trip but it was a gooder. We'll be back LA.


p.s. do all flights look like this? :

4 comments:

Geoff Peveto said...

I did a good job here.

Casey Brewer said...

Not bad. Since you 'tards are regular globe trotters now, when are you coming to SF next?

Geoff Peveto said...

If I'm not there before I will be there in July. Going to Barcelona in May/June... So I think what I'm sayin is you need to get yer ass to ATX before July.

Negative Vibes said...

Thanks for the update on your travel schedule Geoff Peveto. Guess while you are busy snoozing at the airport, the rest of us will actually be posting.

http://buddiesandveggiedogs.blogspot.com